[vtkusers] How to correct winding order of a triangular mesh using VTK?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Fri Jul 19 10:30:18 EDT 2013

On 06/30/2013 11:09 AM, lucky wrote:
> I am wondering that, is there any function in VTK that corrects the winding
> of a triangular mesh?

Yes, vtkPolyDataNormals.

> I am not talking about to correct the normal orientation, here I want to
> correct the winding order of 3D mesh not just 2D.

vtkPolyDataNormals::ConsistencyOn() corrects the order of the vertices
in the output cells of a vtkPolyData, triangular mesh, surface,
topologically 2D, 2D manifold.

If by 3D mesh you mean topologically 3D, tetrahedral mesh, 3D manifold,
volume, or such, then these are represented as a vtkUnstructuredGrid and
I don't believe this filter will help.

Computational geometry makes my head hurt.