[vtkusers] VTK application running on Linux loads VNC server

Haroon Showgan haroon.showgan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 08:43:23 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm implementing a VTK application for visualizing geometrical 3D objects.
Most of the code is written in C++, and I use TCL-TK widgets for the GUI (I
use *vtkTkRenderWidget* for the main canvas).

Most of my objects are *vtkVoxel* objects inserted into a *
vtkUnstructuredGrid*.

I run this application on a Linux server and I connect to this server from
Windows using VNC. I noticed that when I load a very large data set into
the application then the *VNC server* (on the Linux machine) consumes a lot
of memory and uses 100% CPU. I didn't realize that the memory and CPU
usages of a VNC server would be affected so much like this.

 Note that my VTK application is also consuming a lot of memory and CPU,
but what I find strange is that the VNC server is also affected (the
process is called *Xvnc_core*).

Does anyone know how this is caused and do you have any suggestion how to
mitigate the problem?

Regards,
Haroon