[vtkusers] Construct 3D revolved mesh from a 2d mesh

Andrew Parker andy.john.parker at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 31 05:53:14 EST 2013

All,

I am doing this in code using vtk, but can be reproduced using paraview as
noted below.

I have a 2d mesh which represent a cylindrically symmetric simulation.  I
want to be able to revolve this around the z-axis to create a 3d mesh.
 However, when doing this using the rotational extrusion filter, I only
seem to have boundary faces.  I can't get this to give me 3d cells inside
the volume of revolution, which is what I'm after.  Can this be done?  I
have done this in visit and sure enough the mesh is inside the volume of
revolution as I expect.

This can be reproduced in paraview using the UCD_00003.inp example from the
data set.

First apply a transform and rotate around 90 degrees round the y axis.
 Then apply the extract surface filter. I too must do this in my code as
the incoming mesh is a vtkUnstructuredGrid and the rotational extrusion
filter wants a polydata.  Then apply the rotational extrusion filter for
360 degrees with 120 resolution.  Finally perform an x-normal slice at the
default position.  Viewing only the slice shows the outer boundary only,
but I had wanted the interior of the boundary to be populated with a mesh,
not bothered about its topology, just want a fully populated mesh within
the interior.

Again, any help on the above really appreciated??  As I say achieved with
visit....which I mention only because I assume the code under the hood
would be vtk and hence possible in my case.

Many thanks,
Andy