[vtkusers] Mac OSX QT 4.8.4, VTK 5.10.1 and f-objc-gc flag

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Jan 17 12:43:03 EST 2013

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 17:05:41 -0500, Richard Frank said:

>It seems that Qt 4.8.4 cannot be built with objective c garbage collection.
>
>But VTK seems to require it.
>
>This seems to make the two incompatible.

VTK does *not* require Obj-C garbage collection.  On OS X, a process is either garbage collected or not.  But library code (like VTK) can be written to support one, the other, or both.  VTK supports both, which is what -fobjc-gc means.  If VTK required GC, it would use -fobjc-gc-only.

I'm surprised that VTK's use of -fobjc-gc causes you any problem.  What exactly is the error you are seeing?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com