[vtkusers] how to install vtk on a Mac?

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 11:12:42 EST 2013

Hi Seb,
Thanks at least for thinking about my problem.
I've got a little program which defines the bones in red and the skin in
yellow. The java side does essentially nothing except call the VTK. The VTK
side isn't very complicated either. It defines the camera, the 2 levels and
maybe something else. What happens in Linux and Windows is when I press the
button, off the program goes to the VTK part and within a few seconds up
comes a body outline which I can rotate. This part has been working for many
months.

I have to tell Fiji where the VTK stuff is located and off it goes and
generates the body outline. Just to make 100% I printed out on the fly where
Mac is looking for the VTK, and it is the correct location (basically where
I put the install destination). The problem is that with the Mac after I
press the button, nothing happens. Maybe I somehow need to put a printout
from VTK when I place the camera, for example, to see that it is indeed
reaching that point. Probably it isn't because if it were, it would probably
work like in Windows and Linux.

My basic assumption is that I am missing something crucial - that I need
something beyond the dynamic libraries, but what??? I don't know how to
attack the problem. I thought it might be connected to the copy and paste,
so I made the install target right where I expect the data to be. Of course
there is still something funny because I have to copy the dynamic libs from
inside lib->vtk5.10 to the "root" of the path. I wouldn't expect that to be
a problem, but who knows? It clear that something is wrong, but what?

Thanks,
Ilan