[vtkusers] how to install vtk on a Mac?

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 04:26:07 EST 2013

Hi Seb,
I decided that even better would be to define the install location to the
target itself. Your original suggestion was:
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX     /.../vtk/install
This I changed to
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX     /Applications/Fiji.app/lib/macosx
The exact path changes according to the operating system. On my Linux system
it is /home/ilan/Fiji.app/lib/linux32. In my Linux system everything works
fine if I copy all the *.so files into this directory. In the appropriate
Windows path I copy the dll files, which also works.
The Mac builds 3 folders into the path destination: bin, include and lib.
Inside lib is vtk-5.10 and inside that are the dylib files. The dylib files
I copied to the "root" of the path together with the 4 files inside bin.
That is the only thing which makes sense to me. When I call VTK, I verified
that the path is indeed /Applications/Fiji.app/lib/macosx but it just goes
into an infinite wait loop and produces no results.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Ilan