[vtkusers] X11 CMake Errors on Mac

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 11:52:16 EST 2013

Hi Ben,

I can't answer the question about X11 because I haven't built
VTK with X11 on the Mac in ages, but...
Is KWWidgets the only reason you are trying to build with X11?
Because you probably be better off using Cocoa or Carbon.

The Tcl/Tk that comes with OS X (i.e. the one in /usr/bin/wish
and in /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework) is not X11.
On OS X 10.5 and earlier, Tk uses Carbon.
On OS X 10.6 and later, Tk uses Cocoa.
For X11, you would have to install your own Tcl/Tk that is
specifically built against X11.

Also KWWidgets is no longer being maintained (as far as I am
aware) and it will not build with the VTK master branch.  I'm
fairly certain it will build with VTK 5.4 but am not sure about
later versions of VTK.  It might build with VTK 5.10 if you
tweak it.

 - David