[vtkusers] how to install vtk on a Mac?

Ilan ilan.tal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:53:46 EST 2013

I have received some very useful help from this group, so I hope I may be
lucky once again. The problem is how to use VTK with Java wrap under Fiji. I
have successfully done this for both Windows and Linux but Mac remains a
problem.
For Windows I put all the dll files which VTK generated into a lib folder
and used them via the vtk.jar file. For Linux I did the same thing with the
*.so.* files and that works nicely as well.
Mac generated 3 folders: bin, include and lib. The include is all sorts of
*.h files so I don't need them. Inside the lib is vtk-5.10 and inside it are
folders CMake, doc, doxygen, java and testing. The important files (in my
way of looking at things) are the dylib files. I tried copying all the dylib
files together with the 4 files in the bin folder but it doesn't work.
I looked for a vtkError.log file but found nothing, so that I apparently
don't have enough to generate errors. The wrapping of the java transfers
control to the VTK, outside Java control, so I have virtually no control.

I also tried copying all the files under vtk-5.10, but that didn't work
either. Should it, at least in principle, work with just the dylib files, or
do I need something else?
Thanks in advance,
Ilan