[vtkusers] error during compilation, libhdf5.settings: No such file or directory

Zhan Li zhanli1986 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:40:15 EST 2013

Hi,

I just started using VTK. I downloaded vtk-5.10.1 and also vtk-5.8.0. I
tried to install vtk of either version but received the same error
information during compilation. I can set up configuration using ccmake
well. But when I compiled vtk using make, it soon went to this error:

[  2%] Generating ../H5lib_settings.c
libhdf5.settings: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [Utilities/vtkhdf5/H5lib_settings.c] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Utilities/vtkhdf5/src/CMakeFiles/vtkhdf5.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm trying to install vtk on a linux system. But I'm only one user on this
big linux server system. I don't have the root privilege. So I have to
install vtk into my own folder instead of the usual one /usr/local. Is that
a problem? I guess not because I can change the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX and I
haven't gone to the installation stage yet...

I searched online and the vtk user group's post, no related topic is found.
I'm new to vtk but definitely wanna use this nice package. Thank you for
your help.

James.

--
Zhan Li, 李展;
Geography & Environment, Boston University, USA;

2008 - 2011, in Chinese Academy of Sciences, China;
2004 - 2008, in Nanjing University, China;