[vtkusers] Python vtkXMLPolyDataReader format error ?

GBora gpbora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 08:46:53 EST 2013

Hello I'm trying to use VTK, more specifically the python bindings on a
ubuntu machine, to visualize a .vtk file but I'm getting a error.

I'm using the code from  this tutorial
<http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Python/VTPReader>   but I'm getting
the following error:

ERROR: In /build/buildd/vtk-5.8.0/IO/vtkXMLParser.cxx, line 483
vtkXMLDataParser (0x29bef30): Error parsing XML in stream at line 1, column
1, byte index 1: not well-formed (invalid token)

ERROR: In /build/buildd/vtk-5.8.0/IO/vtkXMLReader.cxx, line 362
vtkXMLPolyDataReader (0x2435e30): Error parsing input file.
ReadXMLInformation aborting.

ERROR: In /build/buildd/vtk-5.8.0/Filtering/vtkExecutive.cxx, line 756
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x2454150): Algorithm
vtkXMLPolyDataReader(0x2435e30) returned failure for request: vtkInformation
(0x29bc2d0)
  Debug: Off
  Modified Time: 67
  Reference Count: 1
  Registered Events: (none)
  Request: REQUEST_INFORMATION
  ALGORITHM_AFTER_FORWARD: 1
  FORWARD_DIRECTION: 0

Has someone encountered this error before?

This is how my .vtk file looks, in Aptana studio:

# vtk DataFile Version 3.0
vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 213 float
0.93773 0.33763 0
0.90805 0.35641 0
0.81915 0.32 0
0.97192 0.278 0
0.944 0.29474 0
0.98111 0.24247 0
0.93655 0.26143 0
0.91631 0.27442 0
0.81921 0.29315 0
0.90701 0.24109 0
0.83239 0.23398 0
0.99185 0.2116 0

I would also like to mention that this .vtk file was not originally a .vtk
file but a .pcd which I read and saved as vtk using methods from PCL.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.