[vtkusers] problem with vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper

Sergio Aguirre sergio.aguirre at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 00:07:16 EST 2013

Hi everyone

I recently upgraded my video card from a FirePro V7900 with 2GB to a
FirePro W7000 with 4GB

I have been consistently been using vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapperand thus
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper
to volume render medical datasets with the following set up

dcmMapper->SetMaxMemoryInBytes(2147483648);
dcmMapper->SetMaxMemoryFraction(0.90);
dcmMapper->SetAutoAdjustSampleDistances(1);
dcmMapper->SetBlendModeToComposite();
dcmMapper->SetInput(dcmVImage);
dcmMapper->Update();

So in order to take advantage of the 4GB of my new video card I decided to
change the max memory amount

dcmMapper->SetMaxMemoryInBytes(4294967296);

However, once I do that the applications crash.

I have followed in debug at what point does it crash:

Apparently the variable "Loaded" of vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper changes
from TRUE to FALSE at line 790

this->Loaded=textureSize[0]*textureSize[1]*textureSize[2]*vtkAbstractArray::GetDataTypeSize(scalarType)*scalars->GetNumberOfComponents()<=maxMemoryInBytes;

and thus the application later crashes in line 1071

  vtkIdType *GetLoadedExtent()
    {
      assert("pre: loaded" && this->Loaded);
      return this->LoadedExtent;
    }

If I maintain the maxmemory ivar to 2GB all works OK, once I place it over
2GB it fails.

I noticed that vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper has a local maxMemoryInBytes
which is 2147483648

Do I need to change this value and recompile/install VTK in order to use
the 4GB of my video card?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.