[vtkusers] vtkRenderer vs vtkRenderWindow performance

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:47:14 EDT 2013

Hi Matt,

Are you using some kind of VTK image reader to load the image?
Make sure that the whole image is cached in memory by doing this
after you have set up the reader:

reader.Update();

Otherwise, it's possible that on each render, the reader is hitting
the disk to load the slices that are needed for that render.  That
would be a big performance killer.  Ideally, you should also call
Update() on whatever filter immediately precedes the mapper.

The fact that you get a max of 60fps after removing all actors
suggests that it might be waiting for a vblank every time it renders,
though I might be wrong about that.

 - David