[vtkusers] getting started4

Greg Hanowski greg at tekknow.net
Tue Aug 27 22:20:14 EDT 2013

VTKers,

Ok, the CMakeSetup dialog appears to have completed the build tree
successfully.  Now how to compile it?

The README.html file says "Now that the build system has been generated the
corresponding native tools can be used to build VTK. In the case of the
Visual Studio IDE simply run it and load the VTK workspace or solution file
from the binary tree specified in the CMakeSetup dialog. Select and build
the ALL_BUILD target."

So I went into Visual Studio Express 2012 and did File>Open Project and
navigated to the build tree location,
C:/Users/Greg/Documents/VTK/VTK6.0.0.0/Build, but there is no .sln file
there.  (What is a VTK workspace?)

Then I also read further down, "If VTK was built using a CMake Makefile
generator then this is done by running "make install" from the top of the
build tree."

So I navigated to the build tree in a cmd shell and typed make install like
this: C:\Users\Greg\Documents\VTK\VTK6.0.0.0\Build>make install

but got the following error:

'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

So I searched my entire c: drive for "make" but no make.xxx showed up.  Even
if one did, I don't see any file called install.xxx in the build directory
so I doubt it would work anyway.

Any ideas?

Greg