[vtkusers] How to install vtk5.10.1 on windows 8 please???

Greg Hanowski greg at tekknow.net
Tue Aug 27 10:41:36 EDT 2013

[i try since a moment to install vtk5.10.1 on my new operating system
windows 8 but it doesn't work. Somebody know how i can do it please?]

André,

I am having the same problem.  Here is a few things I learned but I'm still
not there yet.

After many hours of reading and trial and error I am finally making a little
progress.  After I get this all figured out I will document properly and
post so other newbies don't have to go through this hell.

cmake is installed (see the README.html file in the main VTK folder).
Visual Studio Express 2012 is installed.

Run cmake.

I enter C:/Program Files (x86)/VTK6.0.0 for the "Where is the source code"
field.  I enter C:/Users/Greg/Documents/VTK for the "Where to build the
binaries" field.   (It took me a long time to figure out that you can't put
that directory anywhere in Program Files as Windows 8 prevents apps from
writing there.)

When I click the Configure button cmake finds the compiler and runs for a
long time.  I check all the boxes for items in red and click Configure
button again.  It finally fails due to some issue with VTK_WRAP_TCL and
VTK_Group_MPI.  I uncheck those and click the configure button again.  Then
it fails with:

CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:1382 (message):

Found unsuitable Qt version "" from NOTFOUND, this code requires Qt 4.x

Call Stack (most recent call first):

GUISupport/Qt/CMakeLists.txt:57 (find_package)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I have not been able to get past this point.

Please post your solution to the group if you get it to work.

Greg