[vtkusers] getting started3

Greg Hanowski greg at tekknow.net
Mon Aug 26 00:06:44 EDT 2013

VTK Gurus,

After many hours of reading and trial and error I am finally making a little
progress.  After I get this all figured out I will document properly and
post so other newbies don't have to go through this hell.

cmake is installed.  Visual Studio 12 Express is installed.

I enter C:/Program Files (x86)/VTK6.0.0 for the "Where is the source code"
field.  I enter C:/Users/Greg/Documents/VTK for the "Where to build the
binaries" field.   (It took me a long time to figure out that you can't put
that directory anywhere in Program Files as Windows 8 prevents apps from
writing there.)

When I click the Configure button cmake finds the compiler and runs for a
long time.  I check all the boxes for items in red and click Configure
button again.  It finally fails with:

Could NOT find MPI_C (missing: MPI_C_LIBRARIES MPI_C_INCLUDE_PATH)

Could NOT find MPI_CXX (missing: MPI_CXX_LIBRARIES MPI_CXX_INCLUDE_PATH)

CMake Error at CMake/vtkTestingMPISupport.cmake:31 (message):

MPIEXEC was empty.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

Parallel/MPI/CMakeLists.txt:5 (include)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Any ideas?

Greg