[vtkusers] Example Depth peeling doesn't work on my modern nvidia

Paul Harris harris.pc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 03:10:41 EDT 2013

Hi,

I compiled and tried out the "CorrectlyRenderTranslucentGeometry" example,
and I am unable to get correct results with Depth Peeling.

It DOESN'T work on Windows 7 64 bit, with nVidia Geforce GT 630M,
It is WEIRD on VMWare (on top of linux), Windows 7 64 bit, with vmware's 3d
driver.

It DOES work on the vmware's host (Linux Debian 64 with nVidia).

I ran it with just '1' for theta, phi (to generate blocky spheres),
any number of peels (same problem with 1 or 1000),
occlusion is anything (0 or 1 is still a problem)

See attached screenshot,

The top one is the result of depth-peeling.
Instead of looking like a ruby, it looks like it was rendered solid but
then white-washed so it looks white-ish.

The bottom one is the result of depth-sorting.
Looks great, except for often poorly ordered triangles.

Help please!

thanks,
Paul