[vtkusers] plot a huge amount of spheres

Shawn Waldon swaldon at cs.unc.edu
Thu Aug 22 11:52:32 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I am working on a related issue the last few days.  I have something a
little more complex that I am wanting to draw many copies of and I need the
orientation to be controllable as well as the position.  Could I use a
similar trick perhaps with glyphs for vectors?

Thank you,

Shawn Waldon

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com>wrote:

> Use a vtkPolyData with points on the locations, and a VTK_VERTEX cell
> refering to each one.
>
> Then send that into vtkGlyph to have the CPU makes the spheres which then
> get send to the card.
>
> Better yet, draw it with vtkGlyph3dMapper to make the spheres via vertex
> programs on the GPU instead of the CPU.
>
> Better still, bring ParaView's point sprite plugin over, which will draw
> the spheres via fragment programs on the GPU.
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Gib Bogle <g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz>wrote:
>
>> You need only multiple actors, all using the same mapper.
>>

>> On 23/08/2013 2:39 a.m., curator wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am able to draw a vtkSphere with its own vtkSphere, vtkActor and
>>> vtkMapper equipped together. Now if I need several spheres, I add multiple
>>> instances of this stuff for each sphere and add them all up to the same
>>> renderer - so far, so good.
>>>
>>> Now I need to draw a really huge amount of spheres, which are all
>>> identical except the position. Is there any more efficient way to to that
>>> than just creating N vtkActors, N vtkMappers and N vtkSpheres?
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> curator
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com
>>>
>>> Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/**