[vtkusers] AWT + SWT + Event Loops (was Re: VTK6 and Java Cone Example 5)

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Aug 14 13:39:43 EDT 2013

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:00:08 -0700, rkwright said:

>Right.  The crashes are only when SWT is involved. I'll keep poking but like
>I say, I don't want to learn/build new tooling (if I can help it).  But I
>find VTK kind of enigmatic in many respects.  For example, I thought I would
>try the Cocoa version, just for fun.  So I created a new VTK source and
>build folders, selected Xcode then ran configure, then generate.  It said
>"Configure done",  "Generate done".  Then what?  There's no makefile I can
>see to run the actual build.  Is there another cmake step?  I don't recall
>there being one when I generated the Java wrappers.  I just ran make in the
>config then generate and there was a makefile.  But this time no makefile.
>What am I missing?

That sounds more like due to being new to CMake than new to VTK.  If you chose the Xcode generator, then cmake will have created a .xcodeproj file, you then just open that project in Xcode just like a hand-created Xcode project.

Remember, VTK is a library, so you can build VTK itself with a makefile or Xcode.  You can then take the resulting libraries and add them to your own makefile, Xcode project, CMake build file, or custom build system.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com