[vtkusers] VS 2010 64-bit build problems

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Aug 9 07:09:32 EDT 2013

> I diffed the CMakeCache.txt files between my 32- and 64-bit builds,
and noted
> that the explicit templates flag was 0 in the 64.  I changed it to 1,
and what
> do you know?  Builds fine now without any code changes.
>
> VTK_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATES:INTERNAL=1
>
> This flag is not exposed in the CMake gui, so I have no idea how it
got set
> incorrectly.  Anyone got an explanation?

That flag is set during the first CMake configure run by an internal
"try_compile" test. It's marked as type "INTERNAL" meaning it cannot be
set by the cmake user in cmake-gui. The source code for it is in the
file CMake/vtkTestExplicitInstantiation.cmake.

The test is simply supposed to determine if the compiler can handle
using explicit template instantiations, and it looks like a pretty
simple test (just glancing at the source code).

So the question is: why did the CMake configure process get that answer
wrong on the first time you did a CMake configure for 64-bits...?

Can you reproduce this result in a fresh build tree?

(i.e. -- if you start over with an empty VTK build tree, and run CMake
configure just once with the 64-bit settings.... do you get the right
value for VTK_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATES in the cache? Or does the incorrect
value occur again?)

HTH,