[vtkusers] Can VTK be used with Codegear XE4 compilers???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 11:51:01 EDT 2013

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 06:48:56 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:21:31 +0200, Bo Berglund
><bo.berglund at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>But in order to see if a later version would be "better" build-wise I
>have also used release 5.10.1 (latest on the 5 level) and this does
>not choke on "eatwhite", in fact it continues for some time before it
>also hits a roadblock on Undefined structure '_stati64' :
>
>C:\Engineering\VTK5.10.1\Utilities\vtkhdf5\src\H5FDcore.c 496:
>Undefined symbol 'st_size' in function H5FD_core_open
>  *** 3 errors in Compile ***

This particular error is mentioned in another post here dealing with
compiling 5.6.1:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Recipe-for-building-VTK-5-6-1-with-C-Builder-XE-bcc32-6-31-td3337807.html
(See last post specifically where Oliver Weinheimer gives a stepwise
recepie to fix the error above and a few more for version 5.8.0)

I applied fixes a), b) and c) and could move forward. But then I had
an error not mentioned in the recepie and even applying fix d) did not
solve it:

        tlib /p512 /a "..\..\..\bin\vtkhdf5.lib"
"CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\H5.c.obj"
"CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\H5checksum.c
.obj"  "CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\H5dbg.c.obj"
"CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\H5system.c.obj"
... long list of obj files follows ....
"CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\__\H5Tinit.c.obj"
"CMakeFiles\vtkhdf5.dir\__\H5lib_settings.c.obj"
Fatal: Command arguments too long

So it seems like tlib cannot deal with the list of files supplied on
the command line...

Is there any solution to this problem found by anyone here?
I asked on the embarcadero list but only got a suggestion to replace
tlib with a tlib of my own which would eat the arguments and put them
into a response file and then start the Embarcadero tlib with the file
list replaced by the response file.
A man-in-the-middle workaround...
But I am not sure that it would even work so it would be better if
CMake could be configured to use a response file instead and call tlib
directly.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden