[vtkusers] CMake generates too long commands for Win7X64 RAD Studio XE4

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 11:34:37 EDT 2013

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 02:19:27 +1200, Gib Bogle <g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

>On 6/08/2013 12:29 a.m., Bo Berglund wrote:
>>          tlib /p512 /a "..\bin\vtkFiltering.lib"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkAbstractMapper.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkActor2D.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkActor2DCollection.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkAlgorithm.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkAlgorithmOutput.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkCachedStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkCardinalSpline.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkCastToConcrete.o
>>
>> ...... about 80 more lines each length 121 char ......
>>
>> vtkWedge.obj"  "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkViewport.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkGenericInterpolatedVelocit
>> yField.obj"
>> "CMakeFiles\vtkFiltering.dir\vtkFilteringInstantiator.obj"
>> Fatal: Command arguments too long
>>
>> I have tried to check the command line length and it is about 10k.
>>
>> As far as I know there is a limit to the size of the command line in
>> Windows7 of more than 30k so why did the tlib command above fail?
>>

>I wonder if it might be useful to contact the cmake community.

I have tried but received zero replies....
I also found a thread dealing with VTK on C++Builder named:
"Recipe for building VTK-5.6.1 with C++ Builder XE (bcc32 6.31)"
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Recipe-for-building-VTK-5-6-1-with-C-Builder-XE-bcc32-6-31-td3337807.html
(See Oliver W's reply from Dec 07, 2011 14:48) where he outlines steps
to take).

So I tried to apply these changes to the VTK sources (ouch!!! I don't
like modifying code I don't understand...) to get past some of the
other errors that appear when building ver 5.10.1:
I applied:
a) change struct name from _stati64 to stati64
b) comment out the timezone lines
c) change stryct name from _stati64 to stati64

These three solved the stops caused by some errors but when I got the
next error (Command argumenst too long) using the next modification
tip d) did not help...

I still have the command argument too long error.

Maybe this is not caused by CMake but is some VTK code failure????
I am in a total loss here on what to do next.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden