[vtkusers] Can't save after fillHoles filter

andyjk andrewkeeling at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 05:33:18 EDT 2013

I am applying vtkFillHolesFilter to an .stl file. (from the C++ example)
This works fine when I view the result.
However, when I save the output of fillHoles using vtkSTLWriter, and reload,
the holes are back again! The same thing happens if I try to save it as a
.ply file, so it looks like the output of fillHoles is getting sent to any
of the vtkWriters.

#include <vtkPolyData.h>
#include <vtkSTLReader.h>
#include <vtkSTLWriter.h>
#include <vtkSmartPointer.h>
#include <vtkPolyDataMapper.h>
#include <vtkActor.h>
#include <vtkRenderWindow.h>
#include <vtkRenderer.h>
#include <vtkRenderWindowInteractor.h>
#include <vtkInteractorStyleSwitch.h>
#include <vtkFillHolesFilter.h>

int main ( int argc, char *argv[] )
{
  if ( argc != 2 )
    {
    cout << "Required parameters: Filename" << endl;
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }

std::string inputFilename = argv[1];

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLReader> reader =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLReader>::New();
  reader->SetFileName(inputFilename.c_str());
  reader->Update();

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> input = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> ::New();
  input->ShallowCopy(reader->GetOutput());

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkFillHolesFilter> fillHolesFilter =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkFillHolesFilter>::New();
#if VTK_MAJOR_VERSION <= 5
  fillHolesFilter->SetInputConnection(input->GetProducerPort());
#else
  fillHolesFilter->SetInputData(input);
#endif

  fillHolesFilter->Update();

  // Save STL
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLWriter> stlWriter =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLWriter>::New();
  stlWriter->SetFileName("D:\\akfiles\\HoleFilled2.stl");
  stlWriter->SetInputConnection(fillHolesFilter->GetOutputPort());
  stlWriter->Write();

  // Visualize
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper> mapper =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper>::New();
  mapper->SetInputConnection(fillHolesFilter->GetOutputPort());

 vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor> actor =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor>::New();
  actor->SetMapper(mapper);

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer> renderer =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderer>::New();
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow> renderWindow =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindow>::New();
  renderWindow->AddRenderer(renderer);
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor> renderWindowInteractor =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkRenderWindowInteractor>::New();
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorStyleSwitch> style =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkInteractorStyleSwitch>::New();
  style->SetCurrentStyleToTrackballCamera();

  renderWindowInteractor->SetRenderWindow(renderWindow);
  renderWindowInteractor->SetInteractorStyle(style);

  renderer->AddActor(actor);
  renderer->SetBackground(.3, .6, .3); // Background color green

  renderWindow->Render();
  renderWindowInteractor->Start();

  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

The visualization is fine - the holes are filled. But when I load
HoleFilled2.stl in Meshlab, the holes are back!

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks