[vtkusers] How to visualize an evolving curve in VTK?

Devran Uğurlu devran.ugurlu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:54:58 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I have a segmentation algorithm written in ITK and I want to visualize the
curve as it evolves with VTK. I can show the curve superposed on the
background image on certain iterations by creating new render windows but I
couldn't figure out how to do it on one render window like an animation.
Basically, I want to open a render window that initially shows the initial
curve superposed on the background and I want to update the curve as it
evolves while keeping the same render window open. (Background image is
stationary. Only the curve will be updated)

I am guessing I need to use some sort of event loop but I am new to VTK and
I am not sure what I'm supposed to do for this problem. I have looked at
some animation examples but they only change the position of an actor as a
timer ticks. I want to update my actor as my segmentation code
iterates(maybe limited by a maximum frame rate). Could you guys point me to
an example that does something similar please?

Thank you.

Devran