[vtkusers] vtkResliceImageViewer: changing Window/Level contrast question

Daniel Mirota dan at cs.jhu.edu
Thu Apr 25 10:16:52 EDT 2013

Hi, Audrius,

I figured out what is going on.  There is a conflict between the
vtkResliceImageViewer base class vtkImageViewer2 and the
vtkInteractorStyleImage.  The vtkImageViewer2 registers a callback
function on the window/level events, specifically
vtkCommand::WindowLevelEvent, vtkCommand::StartWindowLevelEvent,
vtkCommand::ResetWindowLevelEvent.  The vtkInteractorStyleImage
delegates the StartWindowLevelEvent and ResetWindowLevelEvent  events.
 However, it does not delegate the WindowLevelEvent, which is the
source of the issue.  In not delegating this event it starts the
window/level process with an initial window/level of 1 and 0.5.  The
delegation do not occur because a vtkImageSlice is found and on
window/level start which set the CurrentImageProperty member of the
vtkInteractorStyleImage.  If this member was not set the
vtkInteractorStyleImage  would delegate this event.

I was able to reproduce this with VTK 5.10.1 on xubuntu 12.04 64-bit
and Windows 7 64-bit using the QtVTKRenderWindows example.

I don't know if this is the expected functionality or bug.

I'm looking into a workaround without changing VTK.

Dan