[vtkusers] Building latest VTK with Python Wrapping

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 09:22:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Michka Popoff <michkapopoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did some more tests to be sure (Same computer, redownloaded files, built the tests 4 different empty folders) :
>
> VTK5.10.1
> - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS : ON
> - VTK_WRAP_PYTHON : OFF
> make : works
>
> VTK5.10.1
> - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS : ON
> - VTK_WRAP_PYTHON : ON
> - PYTHON_EXECUTABLE : /usr/local/bin/python2.7
> make : works
>
> VTK-master
> - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS : ON
> - VTK_WRAP_PYTHON : OFF
> make : works
>
> VTK-master
> - BUILD_SHARED_LIBS : ON
> - VTK_WRAP_PYTHON : ON
> - PYTHON_EXECUTABLE : /usr/local/bin/python2.7
> make : error
>
> So the error is coming from the python wrapping. I just read a discussion you had some time ago : http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2012-June/011849.html
> I tried putting -fPIC for CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS and CMAKE_C_FLAGS but I still get the error message.

That's enough to convince me that something has changed.

Adding -fPIC to your VTK build won't help, the compile error is
complaining that python was built without -fPIC.  The typical way to
build python with -fPIC is to use "--enable-shared" when you build
python, because --enable-shared add the -fPIC flag by default.

 - David