[vtkusers] Uneven colors after the vtkButterflySubdivisionFilter

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 15:39:27 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,

I traced the code that is interpolating the scalars, and it led me to
the following function in vtkDataArray.cxx, which is called from
vtkDataArray::InterpolateTuple().  In fact, that is the only place
this function is called from.

  template <class T>
  inline void vtkDataArrayRoundIfNecessary(double val, T* retVal)
  {
    *retVal = static_cast<T>((val>=0.0)?(val + 0.5):(val - 0.5));
  }

It might be good for us to add a clamp here immediately before the
cast, rather than to trust that the weights will never sum to a value
greater than one.

Either that, or vtkButterflySubdivisionFilter can be modified so that
it normalizes the weights before it interpolates the scalars (i.e. it
would be approximating when computing the points, but would use
normalized weights when computing the scalars).  My preference,
though, would be to modify vtkDataArray in order to make the fix more
general.

 - David