[vtkusers] Problem with vtk python wrapping: can't import vtk in interpreter but can import in console

gregthom992 gregthom992 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 14:27:11 EDT 2013

Hi All as my title says, I compiled vtk with python wrapping and I can us it
on the command line.
However, I am using eclipse IDE and want to use vtk but no matter what I do
with my PYTHONPATH variable, I still get the errors below:
    from filtering import *
  File
"C:\Development\third-party\vtk-5.6.1\build\Wrapping\Python\vtk\filtering.py",
line 9, in <module>
    from vtkFilteringPython import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

My PATH and PYTHONPATH contain :
"C:\Development\third-party\vtk-5.6.1\Wrapping\Python"
"C:\Development\third-party\vtk-5.6.1\build\bin\Release" which has the
*.lib, *.pyd, *.dll

In the DOS console, that is all I need and I can "import vtk" with no
errors.

However, In eclipse : I set the "External Libraries" of my project to
contain the same directories above and I get an error.

The error happens at  in the file
"C:\Development\third-party\vtk-5.6.1\Wrapping\Python\vtk\__init__.py" :
just after loading vtk "common" library.
# Load all required kits.
from common import *
from filtering import *

The funny thing is that both vtkcommon and vtkfiltering python (.dll, .lib
and .pyd) are all in the same folder here:
"C:\Development\third-party\vtk-5.6.1\build\bin\Release"

Can someone please help ? Why would import vtk work on console and not in
eclipse IDE ?

Thanks

P.S I am using Version: Juno Service Release 2
Build id: 20130225-0426 for eclipse, vtk-5.6, python 2.6.5 and pydev 2.7.3