[vtkusers] VTK 6.0 static New() function returns NULL

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Thu Apr 18 12:01:53 EDT 2013

This has come up several times recently, for example, last month in
this thread:

  http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2013-March/127811.html

(Follow that whole thread through to see some suggestions about how to
make this work for a non-CMake based project right now.)

Or take a look at this commit in VTK/Examples, that shows how to build
an Xcode project against VTK 6:

https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/commit/9385718b82e6af83b7e7dcc90a937419edc6892b

Perhaps we (the VTK community) ought to consider providing a
configured/installed header file that provides the auto init defines
rather than stuffing them into CMake properties... Apparently, there
are several real-world VTK clients who do not use CMake to drive their
projects.

If the defines were in a centrally included VTK header file, then
anybody including the header would get the defines, regardless of
whether they use CMake to drive their build or not. Wouldn't it be
better if that were automatic, and people didn't run into this problem?
(i.e. -- it would be easy to turn this into a non-issue...)

Just a thought,
David C.