[vtkusers] Smoothing a mesh by convolution

Billy Okal okal.billy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:06:21 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I am trying to smooth a mesh(triangular if need be) by convolving it with some kernel. For now I use Gaussian kernel. My confusion is how can use a 2D Gaussian kernel? or should I just use 1D gaussian kernel to convolve each X,Y,and Z, since I can get the points from the mesh vertices?

has anyone done something similar or has hints on which way approach the task?

Ideally I want a way to locally parameterize a surface(given by a mesh) as r(u,v)  =(x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)) and then smooth the surface by doing X(u,v,s) = x(u,v) * G(u,v,s) where '*' means convolution and G(u,v,s) is a 2D gaussian with sigma=s.

I will be computing other quantities later on the surface like curvature etc.

Thanks,

bill