[vtkusers] error when building VTK with VTK_WRAP_PYTHON on Linux

mitja_mreza at indiana.edu mitja_mreza at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:44:20 EDT 2013

Dear VTK Users list,

I am trying to build VTK 5.10.1, including VTK_WRAP_PYTHON, on a Linux cluster -- where I don't have root privileges, so I'm building and installing VTK in my home directory.

The cmake / gmake  goes well, but at the end of gmake install this error pops up:

-- Installing: /N/hd00/mitja/Quarry/CC3Ddev/VTK_5.10.1_bin_and_build/include/vtk-5.10/vtkParseMain.h
CMake Error at Wrapping/cmake_install.cmake:67 (FILE):
 file INSTALL cannot find
 "/N/u/mitja/Quarry/CC3Ddev/VTK_5.10.1_bin_and_build/bin/vtkWrapPython".
Call Stack (most recent call first):
 cmake_install.cmake:169 (INCLUDE)

Any idea about bin/vtkWrapPython may not be generated?

BTW, this is on a Linux system running RHEL 6 with the following installed system-wide:
CMake - 2.8.10.2
gcc - 4.7.2
python - 2.7.3
swig - 1.3.40
Qt - 4.8.4
and PyQt and sip installed locally in ~/.local/ :
sip - 4.14.5
PyQt - 4.10

Any help would be much appreciated!

-Mitja