[vtkusers] create the polydata volume from unstructured grid

Alex Malyushytskyy alexmalvtk at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 19:14:11 EDT 2013

It is not enough details, so it is not clear what you want to do and where.

I assume you want to do it in your code in VTK since AFAIK Paraview has its
mailing list.
Then you have to remember that stl file is basically a list of triangles.
Questions are:
 - do you need handle only triangles or  other 2d and/or 3d cells.
 - are you satisfied if all your cells are presented by the the set of
separated triangles?

If yes:
If your unstructured grid contains only triangles you could convert it to
polydata then use vtkSTLWriter to write stl file.
if you need to support all 2D cells, you might need to use vtkTriangleFilter
<http://www.vtk.org/doc/release/4.2/html/classvtkTriangleFilter.html>
before vtkSTLWrite.
If you have 3d cells you might need iterate over them and create
appropriate triangles which would describe cell surface.

Regards,
   Alex