[vtkusers] Empty PYTHONPATH while installing VTK on Mac OS Mountain Lion

benoitd bd0 at me.com
Wed Sep 26 14:34:46 EDT 2012

I am trying to install the latest GIT distribution of VTK on the latest Mac
OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), and I have a strange error. It compiles
perfectly well, but when I install it, I get a PYTHONPATH error. If seems
that the installer thinks my PYTHONPATH environment variable is empty, but
it rather contains:

export
PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages:/TK/VTK/Wrapping/Python:/TK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk:/TK/VTK/bin

The error message I get is:

-----------------------------

-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/vtk-6.0/vtkPython.h
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/vtk-6.0/vtkPythonConfigure.h
-- Up-to-date: /usr/local/include/vtk-6.0/vtkWrappingPythonModule.h
running cd "/tk/VTK/Wrapping/Python" && /usr/bin/python setup.py install
--prefix="/usr/local"  2>&1
running install
Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/
/usr/bin/python -E -c pass
TEST FAILED: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ does NOT support .pth
files
error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH

You are attempting to install a package to a directory that is not
on PYTHONPATH and which Python does not read ".pth" files from.  The
installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

and your PYTHONPATH environment variable currently contains:

    ''

Here are some of your options for correcting the problem:

* You can choose a different installation directory, i.e., one that is
  on PYTHONPATH or supports .pth files

* You can add the installation directory to the PYTHONPATH environment
  variable.  (It must then also be on PYTHONPATH whenever you run
  Python and want to use the package(s) you are installing.)

* You can set up the installation directory to support ".pth" files by
  using one of the approaches described here:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html#custom-installation-locations

Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.

Has anyone encountered the same problem? I have been trying to correct for
the past few days and I am running out of ideas.

BD