[vtkusers] VTK not releasing memory, including minimal example.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 11:46:58 EDT 2012

Hi PJ,

The only obvious error that I found in your code was the call to UnRegister():

  interactor.UnRegister(actor)

The above is exactly the same as calling interactor->Delete(), and I
don't think that was what you were intending to do. Really, you should
never call UnRegister().  In C++, you should call Delete(), and in
Python, you should always let Python do the GC for you (though
making sure that objects are disconnected can help).

>From looking at your code, I can't say what might be causing the
leaks, but I recommend that you try valgrind with the options
"valgrind --leak-check=full".  You can also build VTK with leak
checking enabled, by setting VTK_DEBUG_LEAKS=ON in cmake.

 - David