[vtkusers] Problems with vtk6 dll redistribution and dependencies

Alexandre Boucher afboucher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:06:26 EDT 2012

HI All,

I am having troubles with the vtk6 binaries (build with VS10 on 64 bits).
  Here is some observations that is causing me troubles since moving from
vtk 5.x

1 - The first thing I notice is that I now need to set VTK_AUTOLOAD_PATH
whereas it was not necessary before.

2 - I have to load all the dlls, for instance if I removed the
*PYTHOND-6.0.dll from the bin directory my program crashes even though
there is no dependency with the libraries (double checked with depends.exe)

3 - I can run the program on my machine without problems but I cannot run
it on another machine even when I distribute all the dll and the dependency
tree is correct (once again checked with depends.exe).  Is there some
hidden dependencies?

Was there a big change from vtk5.x to vtk6 that I am missing that would
cause these issues?

Regards,
Alex