[vtkusers] thread safety

Lodron, Gerald Gerald.Lodron at joanneum.at
Mon Sep 3 05:10:19 EDT 2012

I only want to tell:

I copied code from vtkMarchingCubes and its used member variable of vtkMergePoints and programmed it multithreaded of a blockwise calculation of the input image (subblocks of the whole input image are generated), without gradient and normal vector stuff, so that in the multithreading part no vtk variables/objects are used. In the end all results of the threads are merged (single threaded in main thread) into a vtkPolyData object, which is then the output (in my case the input is an image of our internal software lib so not directly a vtkImageData object, but things should be straight forward) of my filter.

On my Intel Quadcore i7 with Hyperthreadding enabled ( so there are 8 cores) I got a speed improvement of factor 5 on a 512^3 floating point image with one contour value (0,2s instead of 1s).

So maybe VTK developers are thinking to make this filter in a multithreaded fashion too, I could share code but as I said I do not directly set a vtkImageData as input, I am not very familiar with pipeline settings and do not exactly know how the blockstream a vtkImageData into multiple threads... (is there anywhere a good doku for that vtkInformation and exact Pipeline stuff, I searched the web and also have that VTK book but this part seems to be a big secret of kitware..., I am using vtk for 3 years and do not completely understand this still now...). Would be great if someone could give me some links if they exist...

Best regards