[vtkusers] using 3D mouse (e.g. 3Dconnexion) in vtk

Alan Nichols anichols at awrcorp.com
Thu Oct 25 08:27:28 EDT 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to build support for the 3Dconnexion "Space Navigator" mouse into a CAD tool we have under development.  The tool is Windows-based, and makes pretty extensive use of managed code in the UI.  It also makes heavy use of VTK throughout.  I understand that vtk supports the 3Dconnexion mice - I read the information (here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/3DConnexion_Devices_Support) and noted the sample code snippets and sample programs.  I downloaded one of the latter, built vtk with support for the 3Dconnexion mice, hooked it all together and observed that the sample program ran fine.  The 3D mouse performed as expected.

My problem is that hooking it up to my CAD tool, in a manner similar to the one I used with the sample program, does not work.  I assume there are subtleties required in this effort that are not exposed in the sample program, such as writing mouse handler routines for the 3D mouse.  The 3Dconnexion company provides an API and documentation; before digging into this (which promises to be a time-consuming effort) I would like to confirm that it's necessary to do so.  Have others had experience with programming for these mice in Windows?  If so was it possible to use vtk "out of the box" with the mouse support built in (as implied by the sample programs referenced above) or was it necessary to use the 3Dconnexion API?  In the latter case, how did you go about it?

Many thanks,

Alan Nichols