[vtkusers] Projected area calculation - i.e. frontal area

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 07:45:16 EDT 2012

Hi Paul,

I may have misunderstood but could you not just project each triangle in
the stl mesh onto the frontal plane (using vtkPlane::ProjectPoint() ), then
sum the projected areas?

You may have to prune the mesh first of triangles not "facing" the plane...
you could use vtkVectorDot to do this. You'll also have to deal with
occluded triangles (if you have them)

hth,

Goodwin