[vtkusers] Building VTK 5.10.1 with XCode 4.5.1

Jerry Trantow JTrantow at ieee.org
Tue Oct 23 13:39:26 EDT 2012

I have inherited an application that was built with prior versions of
VTK(5.6) and XCode(4.1). I have updated XCode to 4.5.1 and now I am trying
to update VTK to 5.10.1. I am struggling with the simple matter of building
VTK. My first problem was defining CC and CCX which I solved by by
installing XCode 4.5.1 Preferences/Components/Command Line Tools.

I also modified my .profile to find cmake using:
export PATH=/Users/myname/Development/cmake:$PATH

But when I run CMake I get the following errors???

Tue Oct 23 $ cmake -c ../VTK5.10.1
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot
-- Checking whether C compiler has -isysroot - yes
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag
-- Checking whether C compiler supports OSX deployment target flag - yes
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode
CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was:
/Applications/CMake\
2.8-1.app/Contents/bin/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild
-project CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.xcodeproj build -target
cmTryCompileExec1459693210 -configuration Debug
-- Check for working C compiler using: Xcode -- broken
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake
2.8-9.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52
(MESSAGE):
  The C compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" is not able to compile a simple test
program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: /Users/mycompany/Development/VTK5.10.1/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:/Applications/CMake\

2.8-1.app/Contents/bin/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild
  -project CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.xcodeproj build -target
  cmTryCompileExec1459693210 -configuration Debug

  No such file or directory

  Generator: execution of make failed.  Make command was:
  /Applications/CMake\

2.8-1.app/Contents/bin/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild/cmakexbuild
  -project CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.xcodeproj build -target
  cmTryCompileExec1459693210 -configuration Debug

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:15 (PROJECT)