[vtkusers] VTK_DIR not found when using cmake

Ronny Shalev rys at case.edu
Fri Oct 19 11:20:11 EDT 2012

Hello,

I just installed VTK version 5.8.0 and cmake version 2.8 on my 64 bit,
Windows 7 machine.  I am trying to run cmake so that I can use Microsoft
Visual C++ V10.  I started with the tutorial at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VTK 5.8.0\Examples\Tutorial\Step1\Cxx

When I run cmake, it keeps giving me the error message:

CMake Error at C:/Program Files (x86)/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindVTK.cmake:135 (MESSAGE):
  VTK not found.  Set the VTK_DIR cmake cache entry to the directory
  containing VTKConfig.cmake.

I tried all of the options to set VTK_DIR the values suggested in the error
message as well as the suggestions given in other posts in this mailing
list.  Yet I keep getting the same error that VTK_DIR is not found.  Has
anyone encountered that problem?  Any suggestion to resolve it?

Thank you