[vtkusers] Marching Triangles in VTK. What do you think?

Rifat Aras rifat.aras at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:07:26 EDT 2012

Dear VTK users,

I am interested in comparing different triangulation techniques regarding
their performance and surface quality outputs.

My focus will be on the "Marching Triangles" algorithm [1]. When I checked
the literature, I saw papers stating that the MT algorithm being capable of
creating higher quality triangles with lower computing resources compared
to the Marching Cubes algorithm.

This being the case, the interesting thing is, I cannot see many MT
implementations compared to the number of MC implementations. VTK is such
an example.

Why the VTK does not have an MT implementation (or does it have?) ? Does
the community think that implementing MT not worth the hassle?

Or let me ask the other way around, would you consider the implementation
of the MT algorithm a valuable addition to the VTK?

Please let me know what do you think...

Best regards.

--
Rifat Aras
PhD Candidate

[1] "Marching triangles: Delaunay implicit surface triangulation", A.
Hilton, J. Illingworth, 1997