[vtkusers] Lighting not consistent between release/debug builds

cnoon christian.noon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:00:23 EDT 2012

Hello,

I have been tasked with reworking some features on a large volume rendering
application that is backed with VTK. I'm currently compiling against
VTK-5.10.0. We are inserting geometry objects into the volume, and we're
having issues with lighting in release mode. None of the shading is properly
working in release mode. Only the ambient coefficient seems to have any
affect on the geometry. In debug mode, all the lighting parameters seem to
be working properly.

I've dug through all the code and there's nothing on our end that toggles
the lighting parameters between debug/release builds using preprocessor
directives. Therefore, I'm guessing that this is something inside VTK that
is disabling the lighting. Does anyone have any hints as to what could be
the problem? I'm incredibly stuck at this point and am not even sure how to
proceed.

Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated.
--

Christian