[vtkusers] Boolean operations with tubeFilters partially hide geometry

Malsoaz James jmalsoaz at yahoo.fr
Mon Oct 1 04:41:04 EDT 2012

Hi,

You should be aware that the vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter has several bugs.

You can find information about it on previous threads:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/PolyData-Boolean-operation-problem-td5714926.html
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Holes-in-mesh-after-vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter-td5713284.html

Best
James

________________________________
 De : Jon Haitz Legarreta <jhlegarreta at vicomtech.org>
À : vtkusers at vtk.org
Envoyé le : Mercredi 26 septembre 2012 17h48
Objet : [vtkusers] Boolean operations with tubeFilters partially hide geometry

Hi there,
I am facing some problems with a boolean filter (vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter) applied to a pair of vtkTubeFilter. The thing is that for my application the vtkTubeFilterfits better than a vtkCylinderSource. Besides, I want the capping property of the tubeFilter to be off.

I use a vtkTriangleFilter in order to transform the tubeFilters into objects that the boolean filter can deal with.

When performing an intersection boolean operation, it seems like capping is necessary in order to get acceptable results. However, since I cannot erase the cap to the actor yielded by the boolean operator, this is not a good solution.

On the other hand, I can give some "thickness" to the tubeFilter by creating an "inner" tubeFilter and then applying the difference boolean operator.

However, then the problem is that the inner wall of the resulting actor seems not to have a geometry. Or at least it is not shown.

Setting the backfaceculling property on does not change things.

I have attached some images in order to clarify things.

Any guess?

Thank you,
JON HAITZ