[vtkusers] question about vtkQuadric, SamleFunction and ContourFilter

Frederic Simons simons at inbk.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Nov 28 10:20:06 EST 2012

anyone?

Frederic Simons <Simons <at> inbk.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I’ve got a problem trying to create a Polygon using a vtkImlicitFunction
(vtkQuadric) , a sampler and the vtkContourfilter. The Code  is:

> > vtkSmartPointer<vtkQuadric>  quadric =
> >                             vtkSmartPointer<vtkQuadric> ::New();
>
> (...)
>
> With the parameters in the examples
(http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/QuadraticSurface) it
just works. Using my own parameters (here for testing purposes --- body should
be an elliptical cylinder) it fails. Also the Output of the sampler is empty
(printed the vtkImageData to a .vti file ) ..

> Later on this code must work with any given parameters (any reasonable, the
resulting surface will be used in conjunction with
vtkBooleanOperationPolyData-thingie to construct complex object).

> My Question:
> Are there *ANY* constrains with the
vtkQuadric/vtkSampleFunction/vtkContourFilter that I’m not aware of. In the doc
I haven’t  found anything regarding degenerate quadratic surfaces.

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ