[vtkusers] How to overcome the memory allocation problem.

James Johnston JamesJ at motionview3d.com
Mon Nov 12 16:23:26 EST 2012

You might want to consider rewriting in something else more modern.  If
that's too much work, then maybe you can write an external Visual C++ 64-bit
program that reduces the data set to something more manageable and then
sends it to your 32-bit program via some kind of inter-process communication
(e.g. named pipes)?

My experience is that trying to malloc anything more than a few tens of
megabytes in a 32-bit process is just asking for trouble - especially if
there's other stuff going on in that process.  The address space just gets
too fragmented.  Plus, you never know if there will be a few random,
poorly-based 3rd-party DLLs loaded right in the middle of your address space
to fragment it even more.

They do have a new C++ Builder XE3 64-bit compiler supposedly coming out,
though I haven't used it yet.  No idea if it would be the perfect solution
to your ills, or if it's buggy and would just complicate things further.
They basically scrapped the C++ Builder compiler and replaced it with a
clang-based compiler with their customizations on it.

Best regards,

James Johnston

GUI