[vtkusers] [Paraview] vtkDistributedDataFilter and ghost cells - PROGRESS

Andrew Parker andy.john.parker at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:31:41 EST 2012

So I've added this in an .cpp file and complied it:

vtkStandardNewMacro(MyD3)

MyD3::MyD3()
: vtkDistributedDataFilter()
{
}

void MyD3::PrintSelf(ostream& os, vtkIndent indent)
{
  this->Superclass::PrintSelf(os,indent);
}

int MyD3::RequestUpdateExtent(vtkInformation *vtkNotUsed(request),
      vtkInformationVector **inputVector,
      vtkInformationVector *outputVector)
{
  // get the info objects
  vtkInformation *inInfo = inputVector[0]->GetInformationObject(0);
  vtkInformation *outInfo = outputVector->GetInformationObject(0);

  int piece, numPieces, ghostLevels;

  // We require an extra layer of ghost cells from upstream.

  piece =
outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER());
  numPieces =
outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_PIECES());
  ghostLevels =
outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_GHOST_LEVELS())
+ 1; //##### New bit, modified from Ken's notes

  inInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER(),
piece);
  inInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_PIECES(),
numPieces);

inInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_GHOST_LEVELS(),
ghostLevels);

  return 1;
}

And I add this to a .h file:

class MyD3
  : public vtkDistributedDataFilter
{
  vtkTypeMacro(MyD3, vtkDistributedDataFilter);

public:
  static MyD3 *New();
  void PrintSelf(ostream& os, vtkIndent indent);
  int RequestUpdateExtent(vtkInformation *vtkNotUsed(request),
  vtkInformationVector **inputVector,
  vtkInformationVector *outputVector);
protected:
  MyD3();

private:
  // MyD3(const MyD3&);  // Not implemented.
  // void operator=(const MyD3&);  // Not implemented.
};

I then invoke it in parallel 3 way, as I did before, but now using:

  vtkSmartPointer<MyD3> dd = vtkSmartPointer<MyD3>::New();

  // here mesh is a vtkUnstructuredGrid on each processor, obtained from
other (non-vtk) means, but represents a valid and checked subset of the
entire mesh.
  dd->SetInput(mesh);
  dd->SetController(getVtkController());
  dd->SetBoundaryModeToSplitBoundaryCells();  // clipping
  dd->UseMinimalMemoryOff();
  dd->Update();

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGrid>
ddUmesh(vtkUnstructuredGrid::SafeDownCast(dd->GetOutput()));

  auto ids = ddUmesh->GetPointData()->GetGlobalIds();
  auto cids = ddUmesh->GetCellData()->GetGlobalIds();

########################
Notes:

1) Both ids, and cids remain null, although I now understand from Ken that
cids will always be null as they're not created.
2) Using totalview and stopping the code in parallel 3 way on line 670 of
vtkDistributedDataFilter.cxx, the member this->GhostLevel is always zero
and never executes codes branches dependent on it, however, the above code
successfully increments the ghostLevels to one.
3) So basically moved forward a little bit, but still not working.  Any
thoughts??
4) If I had created the ghost cells, how would I know, is my next question.
 How can I visualise them to check?

Any thoughts really welcome.

Cheers again,
Andy