[vtkusers] [Paraview] vtkDistributedDataFilter and ghost cells

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Nov 7 07:22:18 EST 2012

Hmmm. I thought global point IDs were always created. Maybe it only happens when ghost cells are created. Try getting that working first.

As far as global cell IDs are concerned, you are out of luck. vtkDistributedDataFilter does not create them. But they are not all that useful anyway since, unlike points, once you remove the out cells there is no overlap. Usually you can get all the information you want from the ghost level.

If you really need global cell IDs, I'm sure you would have no trouble making them yourself. I would do it before running vtkDistributedDataFilter. Assuming when you first read in your data you have no duplicate cells, just label those on process 0 as 0..N_0, those on process 1 as N_0+1..N_1, and so on.

-Ken

Sent from my iPad so blame autocorrect.