[vtkusers] Stereo rendering / nvidia 3d vision ?

Hal Canary hal at cs.unc.edu
Thu May 24 08:26:05 EDT 2012

On 05/23/2012 10:33 PM, Jean-Hugues Royer wrote:
> Is is possible to use stereo rendering with nvidia 3d vision ?

Yes. That's the system we use with stereo VTK applications.  See this
thread:
     http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2012-April/122734.html
     http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2012-May/123384.html

> Otherwise do you know where to get crystal eyes vtk compatible hardware
> to try vtk with it ?

Your hardware must support OpenGL stereo; as far as I know that means an
Nvidia Quadro graphics card.

This Howto has more information on setting up a system under Windows or
Linux:

http://cismm.cs.unc.edu/core-projects/visualization-and-analysis/setting-up-a-simple-stereo-system/

If you can first run ParaView in stereo mode, you should be able to run
any VTK application with the following C++ code:

    /*...*/
    vtkRenderWindow * renderWindow = vtkRenderWindow::New();
    renderWindow->StereoCapableWindowOn();
    renderWindow->SetStereoTypeToCrystalEyes();
    renderWindow->StereoRenderOn();
    /*...*/

or in Python:

	renderWindow = vtk.vtkRenderWindow()