[vtkusers] To show "σ" using vtkVectorText

Najzero adrian.gabriel at 4plus.de
Wed May 23 02:12:14 EDT 2012

Hi,

yes there is, but it is somehow workaroundish.

I needed some time to achive that (we wanted to use ° - degree Symbol and...
well Unicode generally speaking).

What I did:
- Take http://www2.iaas.msu.ru/tmp/myVectorText.tgz , its a convenience
package comming from Michail Vidiassov (see
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/vtkVectorText-beyond-ASCII-td1236574.html )

In that file there is a small example, which does roughly the same as the
vtkVectorText but using the "polygonic-Data" comming from
vtkPreComputed*.tmp files.

Also included is a "make_font" folder, which with you can create those
preComputed files with a different font
(we used OpenSans-Regular.ttf because its free, has alot glyphs and is
pretty good readable)

To run makeFont you would need FTGL, freetype and GLUT (all of them in an
older version - freetype changed very much, try version 240)

After I created those precomputed letters, I just used the
vtkLatin1VectorText files given, renamed them, placed them into my project
(did not want to rebuild VTK for that, works fine without) and derived my
text-class from the new vtkLatin1VectorText and not from vtkVectorText any
more.

This approach has some issues, since the precomputedletters are generated
with some constants Michail (and myself) did not fully understand, see
readme.txt included in the .tgz.

The files from the tgz helped me a great deal and I could figure the rest
out myself after some time.

If you have some questions, I gladly try to answer them, but I guess you can
work with the tgz.

Even though Michail did not work with VTK since 2008, he was so kind to
answer some of my questions, so you could also shoot questions at him
(mostly make_font stuff).

Best Regards
Adrian

PS: Oh I see, you found michails post yourself... here you go ;) the URL
just changed slightly