[vtkusers] Linking error during x64 VTK 5.8.0 compile

jimmigoo jimmigoo at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:01:00 EDT 2012

Hi everybody!
I've just changed VTK version from 5.5.0 to 5.8.0.
I'm trying to compile my development solution on Visual Studio 2010,
and I'm in trouble with x64 ( _X_M64 ) Platform Solution.
I received a few linking error like these:

2>VTK_LIB.lib(vtkCleanArrays.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external
symbol "public: int __cdecl vtkFieldData::GetNumberOfTuples(void)"
(?GetNumberOfTuples at vtkFieldData@@QEAAHXZ)
2>VTK_LIB.lib(vtkGenericGeometryFilter.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved
external symbol "public: void __cdecl vtkIdList::SetNumberOfIds(int)"
(?SetNumberOfIds at vtkIdList@@QEAAXH at Z) referenced in function "protected:
virtual int __cdecl vtkGenericGeometryFilter::RequestData(class
vtkInformation *,class vtkInformationVector * *,class vtkInformationVector
*)"
(?RequestData at vtkGenericGeometryFilter@@MEAAHPEAVvtkInformation@@PEAPEAVvtkInformationVector@@PEAV3@@Z)
2>VTK_LIB.lib(vtkGenericGeometryFilter.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved
external symbol "public: void __cdecl vtkPolyData::Allocate(int,int)"
(?Allocate at vtkPolyData@@QEAAXHH at Z) referenced in function "protected:
virtual int __cdecl vtkGenericGeometryFilter::RequestData(class
vtkInformation *,class vtkInformationVector * *,class vtkInformationVector
*)"
(?RequestData at vtkGenericGeometryFilter@@MEAAHPEAVvtkInformation@@PEAPEAVvtkInformationVector@@PEAV3@@Z)

All VTK libraries ( vtkCommon.lib, etc.. ) are correctly added on library
dependencies.
All VTK header directories are correctly added on INCLUDE directory on C/C++
option property.

The strange fact is that everything links well and application runs using
Win32 platform.

So, I really like to know how to solve this strange fact, it's driving me
crazy!

I'm looking for your reply,
regards,

Francesco