[vtkusers] Beginner question on vtk files

Hal Canary hal at cs.unc.edu
Fri May 11 07:19:06 EDT 2012

On 05/11/2012 03:04 AM, Reymar Angelo Victoria wrote:
> Good day. I have a 1D heat data which progresses through time and I want
> to plot it in 3D (position, time, temperature). And if possible I also
> want to generate a surface from the plot points. Which
> paraview-compatible filetype can I create? And is it possible to create
> the file in a C program?

If the points in time and space are uniformly sampled, I'd just create a
2-D vtkImageData with temperature as an associated data array.  Then use
ParaView's "warp by scalar" filter to create a surface.

(If they are not regularly sampled, use a vtkRectilinearGrid or
vtkStructuredGrid.)

You would need C++ to make use of the VTK libraries for creating files.
  My preferred way of translating data into VTK format is to use the VTK
libraries in Python to access the vtkXMLImageDataWriter class.

--
Hal Canary
http://cs.unc.edu/~hal/